Mediation provides an alternative to traditional divorce battles in Court. Mediation offers a way for you and your spouse to resolve your disputes with the guidance of a neutral third-party mediator. Rather than going through a trial, mediation allows you to maintain control over the divorce process and the outcome.
What Happens in Mediation?
Mediation is a structured yet flexible process. Here’s what you can expect:
- Neutral Mediator: An impartial mediator is an attorney or mental health professional with specialized training in conflict resolution, who will guide the process.
- Open Communications: Your and your spouse will discuss your desires and concerns openly and honestly with the help of the mediator.
- Privacy: Discussions remain confidential, providing a safe space for dialogue.
- Solutions: The mediator will help to identify common ground and facilitate negotiation toward reaching a settlement.
- Legal Counsel: You have the right to legal representation during mediation.
Crucially, discussions and agreements reached during mediation are confidential and are not final or legally binding until written down and signed, ensuring that both parties can speak candidly.
Why Choose Mediation?
Mediation offers numerous benefits, including:
- Efficiency: Quicker path to resolution compared to lengthy trials.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Avoids high legal fees associated with extended court battles.
- Control: You retain decision-making power instead of leaving it to a judge.
- Better Relationships: Often leads to improved opinions of each other and smoother transitions.
- Confidentiality: Discussions had in mediation are confidential and the mediator cannot be called to testify for either party.
Is Mediation Right for You?
Mediation is suitable for many cases, but not all. If domestic violence or undue influence are concerns, other options might be better. However, if both parties are willing to collaborate and seek common ground, mediation is a viable, affordable, and effective choice.
Contact Family Ally for an Experienced St. Louis Mediation Attorney
At Family Ally, we are here to guide you through the mediation process. Our experienced legal team is equipped to assist you whether you need expert representation during mediation sessions or are looking for a skilled mediator to facilitate your discussions. We are committed to achieving resolutions that work for everyone involved. If you’re looking to navigate family law disputes with a constructive approach, contact us today.